A sore throat is a scratchy, dry, and painful condition in the throat. Often, the pain and discomfort worsen when you swallow. Sore throat accounts for at least 13,000,000 hospital visits every year.
Moreover, most sore throats are either caused by environmental factors such as dry air or by infections. And even though this condition can be unpleasant and discomforting, it will typically go away on its own.
But the good news is that medications can help alleviate the shooting pain from having a sore throat. Below are the best medications for sore throat.
Some pain-relieving medications can help in controlling the throbbing pain caused by a sore throat. Most of them are in the form of a liquid or a pill taken by mouth. The most popular pain-relieving medications are:
Naproxen and Ibuprofen are well-known as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDs. These OTC medications relieve redness and pain by lowering the swelling and inflammation.
However, it is still a topic of debate how Acetaminophen works in relieving sore throat pain. Before taking any of these OTC medicines, consider the following points:
- Do not take NSAIDs if you have had an allergic reaction to any NSAID medications. Also, if you struggle with pain before or after a coronary artery bypass surgery, please avoid these medications.
- Before using any pain-relieving OTC medications for a sore throat, check with your doctor. In particular, if you have kidney problems, liver problems, and high blood pressure.
- Ibuprofen can be given to children who are more than six months old for treating mild to moderate sore throat pain. Make sure to get the correct dosage information from your doctor.
This drug can be used to relieve an itchy and scratchy throat. Antihistamines work by preventing histamine release in the body, a chemical that triggers allergic reactions. Here are some OTC oral antihistamines you can take to mitigate sore throat pain:
- Products that consist of Chlorpheniramine
Individuals who have peptic ulcers or glaucoma and adults who are at least 65 years old must consult their doctor first before taking antihistamines.
Another option for relieving sore throat is numbing medications, also known as anesthetics. These medications help relieve pain by numbing the throat. What’s more, OTC medications that include numbing agents are generally available as a lozenge or throat spray.
- Vicks VapaCool throat spray
- Cepacol or Halls
- Chloraseptic sprays
Moreover, numbing medications usually consist of phenol, menthol, and benzocaine to numb the throat. Remember that while these numbing medications help relieve sore throat pain, they can make other areas go numb, too, like the cheeks, tongue, and mouth.
Another thing, while these medications are effective for a sore throat, FDA issued a warning about OTC medications that …….